EASY CHICKEN THIGH BRINED OVERNIGHT!
This is an easy chicken thigh recipe brined overnight. For all you coffee lovers, this coffee rubbed meat roasted in the oven and glazed with honey-butter is just irresistible!
- 15 mins
- 1 hour
- Serves 2
- 3-4 Chicken Thighs
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 8 cups water
- 3-4 large bay leaves
- 4-5 cloves garlic (lightly crushed, or roughly chopped)
- ½ tablespoon ground coffee (medium ground *see notes)
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Madras curry powder
- ½ tablespoon cayenne (optional, if you like it spicy)
Honey Butter Glaze
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
Brine The Chicken Thigh
Mix together the salt and water in a large bowl until the salt has dissolved
Add in bay leaves
Peel and gently crush (or roughly chop) the garlic and put it in the brine
Add thighs into the brine
Then brine overnight
Make the Coffee Rub
Mix together all ingredients for the ‘Coffee Rub’.
Make the Honey Butter Glaze
Melt the butter in a small pot or microwave. (If you use a microwave, heat it up every 15 seconds so that it doesn’t splatter everywhere)
Once the butter has melted, mix in the honey and soy sauce and set aside.
Prepare the Chicken for Oven Roasting
Preheat oven to 350F
Remove the thighs from the brine and pat it down with paper towels
Sprinkle the coffee rub over the top and bottoms of the thigh and place the turkey in an oven-proof roasting pan. You can choose to rub the coffee rub into the chicken thighs or sprinkle it evenly over the chicken in a thin layer.
Once the oven has reached 350F, add the chicken in and set a timer for 40 minutes
Once 40 minutes have passed, use a brush and dab the honey butter glaze over the thighs. If the butter has separated, use a fork to mix everything together until it is a paste again
Put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes It should have baked in the oven for a total of 60 minutes. The final temperature of the chicken should be between 165-170F.
(Optional) If you like sweet and savoury dishes, try brushing on a ¼ teaspoon to ½ teaspoon of honey on top of the turkey after you have removed it from the oven!
Save the drippings and serve it with the turkey, and sprinkle it with some chives! Enjoy!
- Use only freshly ground or pre-ground coffee grounds, it has a lot more flavour!
- We like using medium or light roast coffee, in medium coarse texture. The medium course sticks to the chicken better.
- Dark roast coffee can be too bitter for rubs.