T-Bone steak is a beautiful, flavorful cut, featuring a T shaped bone with meat either side. Searing at a high temperature creates a delicious caramelized with juicy meat in the middle.
For the best results pan sere the steak then finish in the oven!
How to cook T-Bone Steak
- Allow the steak to reach room temperature (allow to sit for 30-60 minutes before cooking)
- Dry the steak by patting it down with a paper towel
- Season by rubbing both sides of the steak with oil and then adding salt and pepper
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet to a high heat.
- Add oil to the hot skillet and when it starts to smoke carefully add the steak
- Sear the steak for 2 minutes for the first side, then flip
- Add some minced garlic, butter and fresh rosemary
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Cook in the oven until it reaches your desired done-ness
- Remove the steak and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes.
Marinating a T-Bone?
As a T-bone is already a tender cut it’s not recommended to marinate the meat. Simply add seasoning before cooking to avoid overpowering the natural flavours.
Finishing in the Oven
Following searing the steak, finish the cooking in the oven at around 200°C. This avoids burning and drying out the exterior but insured the center cooks through to perfection.
|T-bone Steak Doneness (1-inch)||Oven Bake Time|
|Medium rare||2-3 minutes|
Add 2-3 more minutes for each additional 1/2 inch thickness.
How to serve T-Bone Steak?
Serve your T-bone by cutting the meat away from the bone and then slicing into strips.